Wednesday 20 October 2010

Not such a good sport

T turned to me tonight, and I quote: "I don't think I'm going to play Football Manager anymore*. I'm bored of it". Jolly good - it's only taken him 10 years to come to this conclusion, but better late than never.

It's not so much the computer game I loathe, but sport in general.

Don't get me wrong, I like gymnastics as much as the next leotard-clad Russian, but I just don't know why men can't stick to one sport and one team and leave it at that.

Just when the football season draws to a close, oh what's this – yep, cricket's back on. Formula One? Don't mind if I do. Rugby? Sure. Boxing? Why not! American football? I love the Saints!

Of course, I can only blame myself for our current sports consumption. A few months ago I bribed T off of the computer and the evils of Football Manager with the purchase of a Sky Sports package. Big mistake. He easily outwitted me by turning the television in the direction of the computer he's playing on, in turn doubling his sports intake.

But as of today, there could be light at the end of the football tunnel.

Although I have a worrying feeling that the Football Manager void could well be filled with yet another addition to the sport-watching portfolio...sumo wrestling anyone?

At least David Beckham was nice to look at...




















*For those who are privileged enough to not know what Football Manager is – it's a mind-numbing, boyfriend-stealing computer game that leads men and boys to believe that they run a football club when clearly all they are doing is watching 22 dots run around a 2D football pitch (I believe that the game has now improved from its 2D version but T won't give up on the 2008 version – apparently it was a good year.)

No comments: