Monday 17 January 2011

Stepping out with my baby

As Little O has now progressed to the toddling phase (albeit with hands), it was time to take that fateful step (excuse the pun) to the experts in children's feet – Clarks.

Now, I am a lover of the stacked heel. So not since 1987 have I stepped foot (there I go again....) in Clarks. It's really not that I dislike the shop or anything...it's just that I don't have any orthopedic problems that require me to wear rubber soles. (I really am joking – my mum will murder me for saying that. And if you work for Clarks, please do read on, it is going to get nice I promise...)

Giving my preconceptions of the brand, I was a lot more keen to go to Russell & Bromley's children's store but against my better judgment (and because it was Granddad's treat) we headed to Clarks.

Let's just say they did not fail to turn me around.

Little O was firstly diagnosed by the wonderfully helpful sales assistant as a 'cruiser' and then had his feet professionally measured to be a 4G. One slight let down was that for his cruiser status, there were only four shoe options available in the store but this was all made up for by the extra services they offered with his first set of shoebies. Firstly, Little O had his picture proudly taken wearing his new kicks, which was then mounted onto a memento card and given to me along with a lovely height chart.

All in all, bravo to Clarks for turning my previously negative preconceptions into positives – they did a smashing job in making a landmark moment truly memorable today and Little O has been determined not to take off his new footwear all day. He's especially taken with the velcro fastenings...

Our souvenir snapshot

Got a tale to tell about yours or your little one's first shoe fitting? Leave a comment below!



2 comments:

I Heart Motherhood said...

Ah bless, he looks really fascinated with his new shoes!! I also loved that first Clarks shoe shopping experience, we all had to get in Isla's photo as she wouldn't keep from running round the shop!

Ashenden said...

SAMM!!!!! OMG! I have been looking for you FOREVER! Your baby is GORGEOUS---what amazing eyes. Will you email me--please---I MUST CALL YOU! Sorry that this is in the comments page---couldn't find a contact me area. SAMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxo Julie "The American and greatest desk mate, EVER!"